Swedish population register

If you have moved to Sweden from abroad and are planning to study here for one year or more you are generally required to be registered in the Swedish population register. 

To be registered you must apply in person to the Swedish Tax Agency. Once registered, you will be issued with a personal identity number. This consists of ten digits: year, month and date of birth, plus four extra digits which in the beginning starts with a T, i.e. YYMMDD-TXXX. Every citizen in Sweden has a personal identity number (personnummer), which is used in all official transactions.

Why a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer)?

The ten-digit registration number called personnummer, makes transactions and services easier for you. You can for instance acquire an identity card, open a bank account and receive healthcare benefits. Students who have a personal identity number are entitled to medical care under the same conditions as for Swedish citizens.

Moving to Sweden

In order to be registered in the Swedish Population Register (folkbokförd) you need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) that you have moved to Sweden. This can be done by visiting one of the Tax Agency offices. Please see the Move to Sweden service on the link below, before the visit.

Whilst applying, you need to first register for your courses for the semester and then present a certificate of registration for the Swedish Tax Agency. This you can easily collect by yourself in the Student Portal.

ID card (identity card)

You can apply for an ID card (identity card) at the Swedish Tax Agency. Read the conditions for how to apply on the link below.


Contact the Tax Information (Skatteupplysningen) for questions regarding the Swedish population register 0771-567 567. If you are calling from abroad, please dial +46 8 564 851 60.

In addition to the above, please note:

Residence Permit is required for students from countries outside the European Economic Area.
If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EEA or stateless, you must apply for a residence permit for Sweden before you register as a resident. You can apply for this permit at a Swedish embassy or consulate in the country from which you are migrating. This procedure also applies to citizens of Switzerland.
Right of residence can apply for students from countries in the European Economic Area.
If you are a citizen of the EEA you may have right of residence in Sweden. If you have right of residence you don't need a residence permit. As a student from a country within the EEA you have a right of residence if you are registered as studying in an approved educational establishment in Sweden and have health insurance. 

To verify this you need to provide the following documentation:
  • A proof of registration at a university, called Certificate of Registration at Chalmers, which can be printed out after the enrolment in the service Create Certificate of registration at My startpage.
  • Certificate of admission from your university showing your study period, which needs to be at least one calendar year.
  • Health insurance valid for one year in Sweden, i. e. show the European health insurance card.
  • Submit a self-signed assurance that you have sufficient funds for your support for the duration of your studies. The Tax Agency will provide you with a form you can sign to assure this.

Moving from Sweden

It's important to notify the Swedish Tax Agency when you leave Sweden. When you finish your studies and move from Sweden you should no longer be registered as living in Sweden.

Page manager Published: Wed 17 Nov 2021.