Swedish population register

If you have moved to Sweden from abroad and are planning to study here for one year or more you are generally required to be registered in the Swedish population register. 
To be registered you must apply in person to the Swedish Tax Agency. Once registered, you will be issued with a personal identity number.

On Welcome Day the Tax Agency will visit Chalmers and you can ask about how you register in the population register.
On the Tax Agency's website (the link below) there's information about moving to Sweden and how to register in the Swedish population register.

In addition to the above, please note:

Residence Permit is required for students from countries outside the European Economic Area
If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EEA or stateless, you must apply for a residence permit for Sweden before you register as a resident. You can apply for this permit at a Swedish embassy or consulate in the country from which you are migrating. This procedure also applies to citizens of Switzerland.
Right of residence can apply for students from countries in the European Economic Area
If you are a citizen of the EEA you may have right of residence in Sweden. If you have right of residence you don't need a residence permit. As a student from a country within the EEA you have a right of residence if you are registered as studying in an approved educational establishment in Sweden and have a health insurance. To verify this you need to provide the following documentation:
  • A proof of registration at a university, called Certificate of Registration at Chalmers, which can be printed out after the enrolment in the service Create Certificate of registration at My startpage.
  • Certificate of admission from your university showing your study period, which needs to be at least one calendar year.
  • A health insurance valid for one year in Sweden, i. e. show the European health insurance card.
  • Submit a self-signed assurance that you have sufficient funds for your support for the duration of your studies. The Tax Agency will provide you with a form you can sign to assure this.

Why a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer)?

The ten-digit registration number called personnummer, makes transactions and services easier for you. You can for instance acquire an identity card, open a bank account and receive healthcare benefits. Students who have a personal identity number are entitled to medical care under the same conditions as for Swedish citizens.

Inform Chalmers Student Centre about your acquired personnummer

As soon as you have obtained a personal identity number, contact the Student Centre to replace the temporary identification number in our administrative systems. Make sure to bring the record from the Tax Agency - with your personal identity number.


Contact the Tax Information (Skatteupplysningen) for questions regarding the Swedish population register 0771-567 567. If you are calling from abroad, dial +46 8 564 851 60.

Published: Thu 01 Oct 2020.