Search course

Use the search function to find more information about the study programmes and courses available at Chalmers. When there is a course homepage, a house symbol is shown that leads to this page.

Graduate courses

Departments' graduate courses for PhD-students.

​​​​
​​

Syllabus for

Academic year
MCC015 - Superconducting devices: fundamentals and applications
Supraledande elektronik - grundläggande fysik och tillämpningar
 
Syllabus adopted 2019-02-19 by Head of Programme (or corresponding)
Owner: MPNAT
7,5 Credits
Grading: TH - Five, Four, Three, Fail
Education cycle: Second-cycle
Major subject: Engineering Physics
Department: 59 - MICROTECHNOLOGY AND NANOSCIENCE


Teaching language: English
Application code: 18115
Open for exchange students: Yes
Block schedule: D
Maximum participants: 20

Module   Credit distribution   Examination dates
Sp1 Sp2 Sp3 Sp4 Summer course No Sp
0106 Examination 7,5c Grading: TH   7,5c   03 Jun 2020 pm J,  Contact examiner,  Contact examiner

In programs

MPNAT NANOTECHNOLOGY, MSC PROGR, Year 2 (elective)
MPNAT NANOTECHNOLOGY, MSC PROGR, Year 1 (elective)

Examiner:

Floriana Lombardi

  Go to Course Homepage


Eligibility:


In order to be eligible for a second cycle course the applicant needs to fulfil the general and specific entry requirements of the programme that owns the course. (If the second cycle course is owned by a first cycle programme, second cycle entry requirements apply.)
Exemption from the eligibility requirement: Applicants enrolled in a programme at Chalmers where the course is included in the study programme are exempted from fulfilling these requirements.

Course specific prerequisites

Basic physics.

Aim

Superconductivity is a fascinating phenomenon that allows us to observe
quantum mechanical effects at the macroscopic scale. A tremendous
importance of superconductivity for fundamental science can be seen from
the fact that there are at least 12 Nobel laureates in physics, who obtained the
price for research related to superconductivity. Besides being of
tremendous interest in themselves and vehicles for development key
concepts and methods in theoretical physics, superconductors have found
important applications in modern society. Those range from high power
applications and strong superconducting magnets used in medicine,
diagnostics and particle accelerators; to most sensitive quantum devices
capable of measuring about a trillionth part of the Earths magnetic
field and a millionth part of the electron charge.

Learning outcomes (after completion of the course the student should be able to)

Superconductivity is a fascinating phenomenon that allows us to observe quantum mechanical effects at the macroscopic scale. A tremendous importance of superconductivity for fundamental science can be seen from the fact that there are at least 12 Nobel laureates in physics, who obtained the price for research related to superconductivity. Besides being of
tremendous interest in themselves and vehicles for development key concepts and methods in theoretical physics, superconductors have found important applications in modern society. Those range from high power applications and strong superconducting magnets used in medicine, diagnostics and particle accelerators; to most sensitive quantum devices
capable of measuring about a trillionth part of the Earths magnetic field and a millionth part of the electron charge.

The course is aiming to provide a basic knowledge of the theory of superconductors and the Josephson effect and their applications in cryoelectronics. It introduces a number of basic concepts and develops the necessary theory for modeling superconducting devices.

Content

- Introduction - Overview of applications of superconductors

- Basic properties of superconductors: London equations, linear electrodynamics of superconductors and microwave properties

- Tunnelling effect in superconductors

- DC and AC Josephson effect

- RCSJ model of Josephson junctions

- Vortex dynamics in long Josephson junctions

- Superconducting Quantum Interference Devices (SQUIDs)

- Single electron transistors

- Superconducting microwave components

- Superconducting mixers, detectors and bolometers

- Andreev physics in N-S and Josephson junctions

- Mesoscopic superconducting devices

Organisation

Lectures, Home assignments, Laborations and reports.

Literature

Van Duzer: Superconductive Devices and Circuitry, and lectures notes.

Examination including compulsory elements

Home assignments and a written examination. The home assignments contribute 30% to the total grade. Grade level: to obtain the grade 3 (or G) 30% correct answers are required, for grade 4 (or VG) 60% are required, and for grade 5 (or MVG) 80% correct answers are required.


Published: Wed 26 Feb 2020.