1. What does Careers Service do for students?
1. What does Careers Service do for students?
Careers Service helps prepare you for working life. We offer seminars and workshops. You can find available jobs and master thesis on our website. You need to register. In other words we help you with your Career Planning.
2. When and how can you reach us at Careers Service?
You can mail us at email@example.com or phone 031-772 49 40.
3. Can I get help with my resume and my cover letter?
Check out our web site for Getting started job hunting. Under Resumes and Cover letters you will find examples and information. When you search on Google you will find lots of additional information.
4. How can I find the right job for me?
You need to have a planned approach to this as any other project – this project can be called Career Planning.
Make your Career Planning well in advance:
- Find your motivation – what do you want to work with?
- Be aware of who you are – who am I, what can I do and what do I want?
- Set goals for you job hunt project – they should be clear, actual, realistic and have dates set.
- Make up an action plan for your job hunting project
- Map out your personal labour market – include things like prognosis for your line of work and what contacts you have. Don’t forget to get in touch with potential employers and find out what the market looks like.
- Become a successful networker – map out your network.
- Practice your own personal marketing techniques – can you sell yourself?
- Write a professional resume and cover letter.
- Learn about smart ways to look for jobs – for example job ads, contacting companies, personal contacts/networking.
- Succeed with your job interviews – be prepared!
- Make sure you take care to get your salary, job offer and contract done correctly.
5. How can I find a Master´s thesis or job?
You can use many different ways to find a thesis project. Among other things, you can register on our web site - Careers Service to get access to ads on thesis projects. The most common way to find a thesis project is to get in touch with a potential employer that is active in the field you are studying and interested in.
Go to the company’s web site, sometimes you will find suggestions about possible thesis projects there. Get in touch with the person responsible for your field and find out more about the company.
If you have an idea of yourself as to what you can do for a thesis project, be prepared to present your thesis, the ideas and goals around it, and its purpose. It doesn’t need to be a detailed presentation, just a clear idea of what you think you can contribute with.
6. How do I search for a summer job?
Read the want ads, call companies. Check specific company’s website and Arbetsförmedlingens (Swedish Public Employment Service) website – its available in English and many other languages. Check your own network. Haven’t got one? Think again. Talk to your friends, teachers, professors, and many more. Create your network!
7. What does it mean to be a trainee?
As a trainee, you usually follow a structured program, often in a group. The setup varies from employer to employer. The trainee program is often an accelerated approach to learning about the company’s operation in general, its specific products, way of working, markets, etc. If the company has operations in other countries then a time abroad might be included. In general, you start with a full-time position, but it can also be project employment. The competition to get a position as a trainee is often tough.
8. If I want to start my own company or become an entrepreneur how do I go about it?
Do you have a good idea and don’t know what to do next to make it a reality? There are a number of partners who can help you come to the next step:
- Entrepreneurship and Business Design - Chalmers has a master’s program specially designed to meet the needs of entrepreneurs. You have an opportunity to work with start-up companies in an incubator environment or with strategic business development.
- Chalmers Ventures – Is an idea investment agency and a business incubator that invests in technically based ideas and growth companies from university, college, private people, and company spin-offs. The development process is built up in three steps: evaluation, pre-incubator, and incubator.
- CollabMaker - Is a platform where you can meet people and explore setting up a purpose-driven business. You may have a business idea and need to find co-founders or people to collaborate with. Or you could use your skills and work with other people to make
- Drivhuset – Assists university and college students to start and operate companies.
- Connect Väst – A non-profit network organization that, together with partners, creates a unique platform that leads the entrepreneur to the resources that are required to succeed. They help secure financing through a special approach to entrepreneurs depending on the focus of the start-up company. Since the private sector supports the organization, the company gets access to excellent expertise from many industries for a very low cost or for free.
- Venture Cup - Venture Cup is a business plan competition with the goal of inspiring and interesting people who have a business idea to take a step closer to realizing their dreams. By participating with your idea in Venture cup you get feedback, guidance, training inspiration, and access to a huge contact network – all free of charge.
- Verksam.se - A collaboration among several Swedish government agencies, for you who is considering starting, are starting, already running, or want to develop a company in Sweden.
9. How do I find employers?
Read information under question 5 "How can I find the right job for me?" Then start searching for employers for example via professional magazines and journals, company annual reports and company catalogues, newspapers, Internet and so on (more information and some links here). Talk to friends and acquaintances and find out where they work. Be your own job hunting strategist!
10. How should I prepare myself for an interview?
- Your knowledge and skills. What are your strengths?
- How does your knowledge and experience match up with the job you have in mind?
- What can you contribute with?
- Are you prepared to move?
- What do you want to talk about during the interview? What do you want to know? What questions do you want to ask the employer?
- How does this job suit your career plans?
- Why should the employer choose you?
- See if you can get a copy of the job description.
- Read about the company on their web page and other sources
- Look for input on how you should act during an interview – try Career Service drop in and search also for other sources.
- Work out a list of suitable questions.
- Practice answering interview questions. Book in a training interview at Careers Service.
- Be aware of your body language.
- Practise a positive attitude. Show interest and enthusiasm.
- Confirm the date, time and place for the interview.
- Bring with you several copies of your resume, a list with references and their names, titles and contact information. You can also bring other things that may be requested – letters of reference and your grades and perhaps samples of your work. However, don’t send these things to an employer – bring them with you in case they ask.
- Dress neatly and properly – take time with your personal hygiene.
- Be on time.
- Turn off your mobile phone and your computer.
11. I would like to work internationally – what can I do?
Consider what countries you are interested in and do some research about the labour market in that country – look in the universities web site, for example.
The Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen) has a lot of information and material about working internationally. You can also get in touch with the Chamber of Commerce, Export Trade Council and ambassadors in different countries that might be of interest. At Chalmers you can get in touch with the Student Union, CETAC and the USA committee.Arbetsförmedlingen´s international cooperation