Starting study period 1 in September 2019, Canvas will be used for all Chalmers undergraduate courses, replacing PingPong. Several students have already familiarized themselves with Canvas during the testing phase this academic year.
What is a Learning Management System?
A learning management system is a collection of tools used for teaching, information handling, communication, and interaction between students and teachers during a course. Among other things, you can:
- access and hand in assignments
- access course information and guides
- keep updated with course news and events
- contact teachers via a discussion forum or a chat
Unified structure in the new course rooms
Canvas has robust functionality for creating a more unified course structure – especially for a course PM, which is now supported by a shared, Canvas template. Course rooms can be more easily adapted to follow a pedagogical approach, or to follow a specific thematic structure. For example:
- It is easy to manage video material and files.
- Smart functions make handling large student groups more efficient.
- Booking appointments is easy through the calendar, for example for supervision meetings or project presentations.
- Assignments are easy to administrate, including group submissions and peer response.
- Speedgrader, the tool used to manage assignments, has functionality for giving feedback directly in Canvas.
Find your course room in Canvas
If you are registered to a course, you will see the course room once you’re logged in (this applies to pilot courses before the summer of 2019 and all courses after the summer of 2019).
Before you are registered to a course, you will be placed into the course as ‘accepted’ up until the course start, which means that you will have access to the course room. If you then don’t register to the course, you will lose access to the course room after the official course start date.
Look up the course name and then click the link to Canvas found in the course plan
If you have questions about Canvas or the Canvas project, please contact email@example.com
If you have questions about a specific course, please contact the examiner of that course.