The IDEA League introduces a brand new
Doctoral School on ‘Ethics of Science and Technology’, which will be
taking place in 2020.
Scientific knowledge and technology does not only
shape the way we live and act in the world, but also depends on specific
visions about what the world should look like and how humans should
relate to one another. As a PhD candidate this specific Doctoral School
will help you to become more critically aware of ethical aspects of
science and technology in your specific field of research. Decisions to
tackle a scientific problem or to develop, design, manage, control,
produce, and finally deploy a technology incorporate profound ethical
assumptions and possess deep ethical implications.
After having completed this doctoral school, you will :
- be acquainted with established ethical norms and concepts;
- be able to identify ethical issues in their domain of research;
- develop the ability to argue about ethical issues in science and
technology drawing on specialized literature and ethical frameworks;
- learn about challenges, opportunities and criticalities of addressing
ethical issues through design.
The school is organized around 3 main themes: responsibility, values
and governance. Each theme is the focus of one of the 3 long weekends of
which the school is composed. These themes are articulated under
different disciplinary and methodological perspectives.
Saturday, February 29 – Wednesday, March 4 2020
Coordinators: Saskia Nagel (RWTH Aachen),
Module 2: Values
Module 3: Governance
- Wednesday, April 22 – Sunday, April 26 2020
- Location: TU Delft
- Coordinators: Behnam Taebi and Janna van Grunsven (TU Delft), Viola Schiaffonati (Politecnico di Milano)
- Wednesday, June 24 – Sunday, June 28 2020
- Location: Politecnico di Milano (Lecco campus)
- Coordinators: Viola Schiaffonati (Politecnico di Milano), Alessandro Blasimme (ETH Zurich)
To ensure that you acquire transferrable skills during the doctoral
school, you are required to produce a team essay that could eventually
lead to a scientific publication.
Application is open to PhD candidates of the member universities from the IDEA League alliance http://idealeague.org
- Chalmers University of Technology
- ETH Zürich
- Politecnico di Milano
- RWTH Aachen
- TU Delft
The school specifically addresses young researchers in all the disciplines.
For more information and registration click here !